Who We Are
The Pre-Award team is a division of the Office of Extramural Support (OES), one of the central service areas within the Semel Institute.
The Semel Institute Pre-Award team provides local contract and grant proposal support for investigators and administrators/preparers. We review all proposals for compliance with department policy and are responsible for coordinating university approval from one of the campus contracting office prior to submission to the sponsor.
All Semel Institute contract and grant proposals are submitted according to the process below. WHY? Awards are issued to the institution (UCLA) & not an individual PI. Proposals must be reviewed prior to submission to ensure compliance with department & institutional policy.
|Confirm your intent to submit and add proposal to the OES review calendar.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Include: PI Name, FOA, Due date
|Proposals are reviewed by the Department to confirm eligibility/budget/chair approval
and forwarded to Institutional Signatory for compliance review/submission
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Salary Cap: Yes
- Indirect Costs: UCLA F & A Rate Agreement
- Administering Office: UCLA Office of Contract and Grant Administration
Research (R-Series) Proposals
Career Development (K-Series) Proposals
Fellowship (F-Series) Proposals
- Planning & Tip Sheet Coming Soon!
- Proposal Checklist: F-Series
Just-In-Time Process and Materials
Additional Guide and Policy Links
- NIH Application Guide
- Continuous Submission Policy
- Resubmission Policy
- Standard Due Dates
- Parent Announcements
E-Systems and Access
|eRA Commons ID Request Form
ORCID ID Guide
|Cayuse S2S Grants Access Request Form
Cayuse S2S Institutional Profile Request Form
|eDGE Disclosures Key Persons How To Login
eDGE Disclosures Administrator How To View Dates
Submitting a Proposal to a Non-Profit, Non-Government Sponsor?
Non-profits have their own guidelines, budget requirements and submission methods. Review the tip sheet and checklist before preparing your application
Step 1: Determine Eligibility per Sponsor Guidelines
- Principal Investigator Eligibility: Does PI hold the required level of education, degree, experience, and UCLA academic title described by the sponsor?
- UCLA Eligibility: Does the sponsor have any institutional eligibility requirements? UCLA is a public, nonprofit, educational institution exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code.
Step 2: Figure out the Who/What/When of proposal submission
- If submission is required through a sponsor website:
- PI must request access to the system
- Log in right away, review the submission screens and compare screens to the guidelines. Some sponsors include additional instructions in their e-system that are not included in the guidelines.
- Who needs to submit the application through the website? The PI or an Authorized Institutional Official? If the guidelines are unclear, review the application screens to determine who has the authority to submit. Email email@example.com if submission by Authorized Institutional official is required.
- Confirm due date and time:
- If due date is on a holiday, does the sponsor allow next-business day submission?
- If proposal must be submitted by an Authorized Institutional Official, the deadline will be 5pm PST regardless of the sponsor due time (UCLA closes at 5pm).
- If submission is required through a sponsor website:
Step 3: Create Proposal following Sponsor Policy
- Formatting Requirements and/or Sponsor Templates
- Budget Policies: Does the sponsor specify an annual cost limit, salary cap, indirect cost policy, allowable / unallowable costs?
- Detailed Budget and Justification: Per UCLA policy, prepare a detailed budget and budget justification even if the sponsor does not require you to do so.
Industry Clinical Trial
Industry Non-Clinical Trial
Including a subaward on your UCLA proposal?
- In order to include a subaward on your UCLA application, you must provide a complete Subaward Package for each proposed subrecipient.
- It is the responsibility of the UCLA PI/Preparer to work with the subrecipient to obtain a complete package.
- The subaward package will be provided to the OES preaward team with your application for review (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to prepare the subaward package
STEP 1: Review the List of Subaward Form Requirements to determine what documents are needed and who is responsible for completing them
STEP 2: UCLA PI completes, signs and dates the UCLA Subrecipient vs. Contractor form
- If proposed entity meets the criteria for a subaward, move to STEP 3
- If proposed entity meets the criteria for a contractor/vendor do not collect a subaward package
STEP 3: Set timeline to receive completed subaward package
- It is recommended that subrecipients be given a deadline of 2 weeks prior to the sponsor deadline. This will allow the UCLA PI/Preparer to incorporate the subaward package into the overall proposal in time to meet the 8-business day deadline to the Semel Pre-Award Team (email@example.com)
STEP 4: Communicate Subaward Package Information to Subrecipient PI
- UCLA PI/Preparer send email to Sub PI/Sub Preparer with instructions, timeline and form attachments. Include relevant proposal details such as: Sponsor Name, Funding Opportunity Announcement, Title of UCLA application, Project Period, List of required items from subrecipient for Subaward Package (see list in step 1) and any additional information (budget limits, salary cap reminders)
- Review Sample Email Language here
STEP 5: Manage Subaward Timeline and Review Subaward Package
- UCLA PI/Preparer must stay in regular communication with Sub PI/Sub Preparer in order to meet requested deadlines
- Send reminders, and review documents for correctness/completeness ASAP (edits may be required)
STEP 6: Before Sending Subaward Package for Review, organize files into a Single Subaward Package File
- UCLA Preparer will generate a single PDF of the Subaward Package (one PDF for each subrecipient) in the following order:
- UCLA Subrecipient vs. Contractor Form – signed by UCLA PI
- Subrecipient Commitment Form –signed by Subaward Institutional Official
- Scope of Work
- Detailed Budget and Justification
- Other requested documents
- Name each Subaward Package PDF File using the same naming convention (Subaward 1_Duke, Subaward 2_UCSD)
STEP 7: If UCLA Proposal is submitted via Cayuse Only:
- Upload Subaward Packages under the UCLA Proposal Summary / Supporting Documents section rather than the individual subaward Proposal Summary option. It is easier to review internal forms if they are housed in one place